Friday, March 27, 2015

~Farmhouse Style~


Today I'm excited to be joining five other ladies for a new monthly series called Farmhouse Friday that will be held every 4th Friday of each month where we will be sharing ideas and items all about farmhouse style.  Enjoy! xoxo K.

For this first post we were asked "What does farmhouse style mean to you" and I think of it as fresh, clean and simple surrounding yourself with items you love.  I chose my kitchen to show you today with all it's farmhouse touches.
I wanted a farmhouse looking kitchen when we built our house 12 years ago and love everything about it still to this day.  We had them build simple beadboard cupboards with wood counter tops and hardwood floors and I remember the cabinet guy kept asking me if I was sure that I wanted such a simple look since most people liked a more elaborate kitchen.  My answer was always "yes".....moral of the story, stick with what you like, not what everyone else is doing at the time!

Loving these vintage green glass French bottles I purchased from Alex of Attic Antics. She has a fabulous Etsy store that I highly recommend where I also got the French pitcher you will see further down in this post♥  



My home is mostly decorated in a neutral palette but this pop of color from these oranges is a welcome sight as we enter into Spring and I've been really enjoying eating them lately as well:-)

We didn't have them install a built in island in the kitchen since it seemed pretty narrow in this space and I knew I would have furniture pieces to put here which I've changed a few time s over the years.  I really like this table and benches we are using right now which can double as both extra counter space or seating whenever needed.     

The open shelving on the back wall is fairly new and a great place to display some of my lovely vintage French collections.  This is another great example of farmhouse style with this simple look. 

Looking into the breakfast nook area of this space which you can see more of HERE.  I love using architectural pieces throughout my home and this large header is perfect for the space above the counter between the two rooms.



Another item I knew I wanted in my kitchen was this farmhouse style sink. Inserted in the corner below a window with just enough room for a vintage scale to hold herbs for cooking. This area definitely says "farmhouse" to me!
More simple items on my counter to the right of the sink that helps to bring the look together.

Thank you for stopping by and I look forward to bringing you more Farmhouse style in the upcoming months.  You can visit all of these ladies to get even more inspired.

Farmhouse 5540
House of Hawthornes
The Everyday Home
Stone Gable
Town and Country

30 comments:

  1. Of course Kathleen you already know how much I love your style and your kitchen. Everything looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your kitchen! I especially love the cabinet with the shelves above it along the wall (and all the fabulous goodies displayed there!) and also how you have your sink angled by the window but then you're looking into the eat-in area instead of more cabinets – genius!!! (and thanks for the shout-out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your farmhouse style kitchen! The cream breadboard cabinets with natural wood counters are beautiful. I have been looking for an architectural piece like you have hanging as well. All your decor touches are sweet. Thanks for sharing your kitchen. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. We designed and built kitchen cabinets almost identical to yours ~ including the hardware! I love them! I'm looking forward to all you share when it comes to farmhouse style!
    xo,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your wooden header is gorgeous!!! Makes me want to run out to the local salvage store and see if I can find one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love visiting your charming kitchen. I don't think I have seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathleen, your kitchen is so pretty, cozy and inviting; makes me want to go ask you for a cuppa coffee and indulge in some petty talk, lol! The elements are each adorable end perfect in it!
    Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  8. Es ist wundervoll, vilen Dank für deine wundervollen Einblicke! herzlichst, Elke

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your kitchen and your home! Your collection of French enamelware is stunning!

    I just posted our remodeled guest bedroom that is farmhouse style. Stop by for a see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just gorgeous, Kathleen! I don't think I've ever seen this much of your kitchen and I love it!! I agree with you ... you have to go with what you love and not necessarily what everyone else is doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your kitchen. It's so understated and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too have an angled corner sink and although I really wanted an apron-front farmhouse sink, I couldn't find one that was narrow enough. Can you tell me how wide your sink is and also where you purchased it from? Thanks so much! I really enjoy the soothing style of your blog!
    Warm regards,
    Ruth L

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE everything about your pretty kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your kitchen is beautiful, Kathleen and I'm so glad to have finally found your blog again :)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kathleen,
    I always love touring your home and it's funny that I always see some different each time. LOVE that charming header!!!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello from Germany Kathleen - I love your kitchen - it is pure farmhouse style! So lovely with the creamy white and natural wooden parts - very very beautiful!!! I love everything about farmhouse style, it is a way of life, isn't it!!! Have a lovely weekend, you and your family!! Lony ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVED visiting your Farmhouse Kitchen. I also loved seeing the peak into the breakfast room with that beautiful window seat. Gorgeous! So many charming touches in one space. It was fun to share our first "Farmhouse Friday" with you and I look forward to many more. xxoo, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your kitchen, Kathleen! It definitely says "farmhouse" to me. Your cabinets are great and I love the wood countertops. I should see what my hubby thinks of that as an option for ours. Love that little table with the bench seating. It looks like it comes in handy for prep as well as to grab a break with a quick cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Perfect farmhouse style! Love it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's a lovely kitchen and, being based on classic country, will never go out of style. More importantly, it makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful as always Kathleen! I love looking at your home, so soothing and so much inspiration! ~Megan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Kathleen, I`ve always loved your simple farmhouse style! You are a great inspiration to me ♥ xoxo, Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the farmhouse fresh look of your kitchen Kathleen ~ and I'm with you on the oranges!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bardzo ładna kuchnia,jasna,duża !!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It all looks so beautiful ... I especially like the combination of fitted cupboards and free standing furniture ...makes it look so stylish !
    Gail x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your kitchen feels like "home". I love the white and Browns and wood everywhere. Classic farmhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stunning kitchen! It certainly says farmhouse to me. Love all your vintage accessories. What great foresight on your part, great choice in kitchen. It hasn't dated one bit in 12 years. Beautiful country kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Its very lovely, love every inch of it. Wonderful scale. I adore the little table with the benches just beautiful wopith love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good Morning & Happy Mother's Day
    I just found your blog and I am loving everything about it. Wish I lived closer I would be in your store all the time.
    Where did you get the table and benches in your kitchen, they are so cute.
    Enjoy your day today'
    Rose

    ReplyDelete