Tuesday, November 11, 2014

~Open Shelving~

I've recently been spending some time going through my kitchen and dining room trying to simplify a little bit before the holidays. Open shelving has always appealed to me in the kitchen, so I removed my large corbels from this wall and added some simpler shelves to hold many of my French finds.  Enjoy! xoxo K. 

I now have a place to display some of my vintage French breadboards, this canister set, cafe au lait bowls and a few of my galvanized pitchers. 

I like the addition of some dried lavender to all these French items.  I get mine from our niece who is also our neighbor.  She grows it on her property and sells it on Etsy.

I had originally wanted to put a plate rack on this wall, but since my husband would have had to build one without having time to do so, I remembered some metal brackets I had and all we did was add them to the wall and put weathered boards on top of them.  The don't match, but I kind of like it that way.  This was much easier and I'm hoping I might still get the plate rack in another area someday:-)

Crockery bottles have found a home in this French galvanized bottle carrier along with other bottles and some small crocks added to this shelf as well.  I can't wait to decorate these shelves during Christmas with greens.

Have a nice week.  It looks like the weather is changing around here and we might be dipping below freezing with our first frost of the year.  

22 comments:

  1. I love your French canisters. . . ! As always, I'm sure it will be very charming with Christmas décor. Stay warm, we already have the artic blast. . . 2 degrees (minus 10 with wind chill) here in Montana. BRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love it. You have some beautiful pottery, Kathleen. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. Gives me the the idea to use one of my crocks, for serving utensils. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty, I love your style!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are working on our kitchen and was able to put one open shelf. I now wished we could put more up, but our kitchen is little. I love your shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathleen- That looks stunning. I love galvanized anything and your displays are always just perfect. I hope you have a good Veteran's Day- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. These would be great with pops of red like red cranberries and branches of berries, a bowl filled vintaage red Christmas ornaments, green evergreen. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. simple...lovely...sublime...love it all...and yes, winter does seem to approaching quickly...:(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonjour,

    Vos photos sont très jolies et j'aime certains éléments qui composent vos étagères.
    Il est très original d'utiliser un garde-manger comme petit placard !

    Gros bisous ☂ (il pleut chez moi aujourd'hui !)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just daydreaming today about turning some of our kitchen cabinets into open shelving! I love what you did! But then having all the beautiful things to display is the icing on the cake:)
    xoKathleen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your shelves look beautiful. I love the milk bottles and canisters. The metal jugs are the cherry on top! :) Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. So lovely, so french, c'est manifique!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your open shelves and how you styled them. So pretty.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful vignette Kathleen.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your open shelving is beautiful! Love all the galvanized pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore open shelving and the airiness it brings to a room, Kathleen! The mismatched boards bring such a quaintness to yours and really enhance the gorgeous French body pitchers and lavender! Great job!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  17. The open shelving in your kitchen is a beautiful addition! I don't have enough space in my tiny kitchen for shelving but if I did, that is what I'd do! Love all of your displays as well! Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh what lovely pictures. Love the displays, you have made,

    ReplyDelete