Wednesday, November 19, 2014

~Forcing Bulbs for the Holidays~

Thanksgiving will be here before you know it and I don't start decorating for Christmas until the week after, but I do plant bulbs to force inside about this time each year. Since it finally got above freezing at my house I thought I'd take some photos outside.  I've been wanting to share this great primitive table I got last Summer that is a wonderful faded green color with you also. It's a little short for a potting table, but looks great with gardening items, don't you think?   Enjoy! xoxo K.

You will always find paper whites and hyacinth bulbs in my home during the Holidays.  They can be placed in any non draining container you'd like just by adding gravel, placing the bulb on top and filling with water to the top of the gravel.  It's best to sit them in a cold dark place for at least a week before you bring them in to sit in a sunny window.  As the roots grow continue to add more water. 

Can you see faint areas of the green paint that is still on the worn top of the table....♥

I get the white gravel at Home Depot in the gardening section or you can buy glass bulb jars also and I usually add a couple hyacinths to mine.  Tie a festive ribbon around it and you have an easy addition to your Holiday decor.

Since paper whites will get pretty tall when grown, I put them in a larger container like this ironstone bowl with quite a few bulbs so they can be tied together and hold each other up.  I'll hopefully be able to show you where I put these in my home later in the season. 

The rose hips growing on and around our property are ready to be brought indoors and are always a lovely touch.


I also bought my first tree when I was at my local garden center buying the bulbs.  It's a lavender and I love it!  Now let's hope I can keep it alive:-)

I've been busy this past week taking some items up to a new shop my friend Kathy is opening in West Linn called Fleurs.  It's in an amazing building in a quaint historic area of Willamette that she has filled with some amazing pieces! I'm really excited about this new venture.  You can get more info HERE on her blog and I'll be adding photos and keeping you up to date on upcoming events on my blog, Facebook page and Instagram as well.

Enjoy your week and stay warm!

18 comments:

  1. That little potting table is darling no matter the season. I do love the little evergreen tree and the branch of berries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the blooms! Lovely vignettes!
    Wishing you a beautiful Thanksgiving,
    Linda at Beautiful Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see your paperwhites bloom. I have never grown them but I love to see them. Your potting area is just adorable! Have a wonderful Wednesday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh seeing you fixing those bulbs in the cute containers brings back memories, I use to always do that and why I got out of the habit I don't know.

    Putting those 2 bulbs in the gravy boat is so cute and smart , like the potting table and the tree, lavendar? never seen one similar it's so cute also

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just adore all your photos Kathleen! I love that little tree. I have had Rosemary toparies in the summer, but I would kill them this time of year. ha!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love garden style for Christmas. Your new bench table is fantastic! A wonderful spot to stage everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never force bulbs before, but have seen others who do. They are always so pretty. Love you little lavender tree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful vignette! Paper Whites are my favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just adore your posts, so full of simple and sweet ideas of your home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never forced bulbs, but always wanted to try. Thanks for posting.
    Your primitive table was a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a beautiful post. I love the wee tree. Wishing you a blessed Thanksgiving. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kathleen, every year I say I'm going to do this and then never do. This year will be different. I've got a great white bowl for paperwhites so I'm going right out tomorrow morning and pick up some bulbs and rock. Can't wait and your potting bench is wonderful..Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. So nice this part outside. I wait also that my bulbs open anyday ! Nice day. Christine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful post Kathleen.
    Thanks for the reminder. I have burlap sack with paper whites and white tulip bulbs I need to get going on.
    From the look of yours you will have flowers in time for Christmas. Mine are always late.
    Happy Thanksgiving, stay warm. . . d

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, be still my heart. As a gardener I'm having a fit at your pictures all of your beautiful vignettes, I can see how passionate you are, how much you love what you do.
    I grow several lavender patches and here the one in your picture is called Lady Luck but shaping into a Christmas tree was a fabulous idea the nursery had...Beautiful
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  16. love seeing this! this is the first year in 8 or 9 that I haven't bought a hundred bulbs and gone crazy!

    ReplyDelete